Monday, December 19, 2011

Who is eating our Tree ?

Or should I have said .. what is eating our beloved Tree ?

As happens every year , it's time to pick up leaves all over your Yard .. as they fall or are wind-blown into your Yard . This is always a multiple task , because as soon you get done with it .. it starts all over again a few days later .

As I was doing that a month or so back , I've noticed something is happening to my "Albizia" ( Persian Silk Tree ) . First , I seen some of the bark on a few branches on the very top was missing . At taking a closer look , one could actually see "Teeth" marks . To mind came "Rats'' or "Squirrles" must be doing this damage . I went to the nearest Nursary and stated my problem to the owner . She had never heard/seen of such thing . Great I thought , I'm the Lucky one !

So , the next best thing for me .. was to get some Prepellant Spray and use it all around the base up to .. say five feet . I only did this ones , one can not imagine the aweful smell of this Spray . Not just putting it on , but for day's after . It kept both of us inside the house . Talking about keeping Pest's away , it also worked on us . A few more weeks pass , I notice it is getting worse and worse .

I'd be there , sometimes in the wee hours in night .. sneaking outside to try to catch whatever it is .. in the act . No luck !




Now , looking at this poor Tree .. that I have planted about eleven years ago .. it hurts me to have to see it subcome to something like this . Unless this stops now , I'll see this Tree not surviving for very much longer . If that is the case , I'll plant something from the Desert with thorns and hope these Beasts will choke on that .. trying the same .

2 comments:

  1. WOW...that is too bad for the tree...very unfortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just the other night , I saw a Rat on the Branches . So now I know for sure . I had thought this is what it was , by the Teeth mark's .
    I'll cut the whole Tree down to about eight feet and hope next Spring it will come back .

    ReplyDelete