Wednesday, September 22, 2010

New experience for Qing .

As the Title suggests , Qing now twice has experienced something new .. hence living with me in California .

What I'm talking about is , our way of saying goodbye to a loved one that passed away . As I been told from my LaoPo , in China it's pretty much all Cremation as the last step for a deceased Person . Most of us know by now , this is a much cheaper way also and it's really getting more and more popular in the States too .

Anyway , what I want to say .. is how Qing is feeling about " OUR " ways and especially the Catholic way . Back a few months ago , my late wife's Uncle passed away and she attended her first ever western Funeral Service . Questioning her of what she think about it , she says .. first the Mass was kind of long ( 55 minutes ) . That is understandable of course , being her first and unfamiliar with the whole Catholic thing . Second , all of the People driving down City streets to the Cemetery for a further Service and Interment . That also took about an Hour . By now I could see , the .. when is that over ? But like a good Soldier , she made it through and had her first taste of a western way of an Funeral .

Now , just last weekend .. it was part two . My late wife's Mother passed away and that meant , of to another Funeral with Mass and a little Service this time . No gathering at the Interment site this time . But at the Mass , I like to point out one thing though . At the / or near the end of the Service , it was time for the Catholic People to take the Communion wafer and the sip of wine . Now it was a good thing , those that are/were of different Religion would go up front with the rest .. but crossed their arms on their Chest . This was to tell the Priest of not being Catholic , so he proceeded to only give each one those People a Blessing . I found that quite a nice thing to do , instead of letting them just sit there and feel like you're being pointed out of that fact ( not being Catholic ) for everyone to see . I also did not take part of the Communion , as I'm Catholic .. but I have not been to Confession in many years . Otherwise , my LaoPo's only other ( not liking ) was most likely .. that I was a Pallbearer and not always sitting with her . What followed after all that was a little Luncheon at my In-laws house and that was about four more hours of much talking with People , that I knew .. but my Sweetheart did not . I did make sure she was not just standing or sitting by herself of course . After an eight hour ordeal , it's was time to hit the Road and start getting back home .. as I could see by now .. Qing was tired and had pretty much all that she could handle in a single day . She really is a Trooper in my Eyes and I truly hope that it will be a while before the next such Service is needed .

Bring on a Wedding , they are much more welcomed .. anytime .

2 comments:

  1. That is an interesting account of Qing's experience. Thank you for posting...it lets some of us know what to expect in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is only one of many ( some foreseen .. most are not ) thing we must deal with and help them to overcome those obstacles .. as they helped us in their home country . Just don't think of it as Work , but as a good teacher would do .. with patience and love .

    ReplyDelete