Monday, September 24, 2012

Moving-on.. no, not talking about the old TV show!

So what am I talking about?

The last two weekends, I've made quite some progress.. doing my projects!
Two weeks ago I had ordered two "Treated" red-wood boards for my Springer boards, to get going on my Stairs in the backyard. While I was waiting for those, I installed our new powerful Hood-Vent that my LaoPo so desperately wanted in her Kitchen (see Photos).

All good!

After five days, I received the Boards to my House. I had them delivered.. because they were just to long for my Truck.. at 16feet x 12 x 2 inches. Now, if I was in China.. I could have put those on a Bicycle (no kidding.. I've seen stuff like that) but not here of course.
So Sat. and yesterday I rolled up my sleeves, put on my Hat and went to work on the outside obstacle. Making measurements and all, it came to cutting out the long boards as needed. 14 steps- on a rise of 89" and length of exactly 16feet.

All marked, let's start.. after only two cuts.. I found out something important. My Skill saw blade was too dull for this Job ahead. One un-planned trip to buy a couple (just in case), as I thought.. one might not be enough for 28 of these cuts. Back home again, now it was like cutting through butter. Had it done in less then thirty minutes.. I think. This was it for Saturday, as we had some other things to take to take care of too.

Sunday, I was determent to at least put the Springer boards into the ground and secure them in place.. so not to give them time to do a number on me and warp or get out of shape some other way. One does not or should not, let long pieces of wood lie around for any length
of time. You know what happens or you'll see what happens!

I did get it done before Dinner-time and from the Photos here, it now wont take too much longer to finish. I'll put on the "Risers" (no Runners) and fill in the void with dirt and top it off with decorative rocks.. which colour we still have to choose.




2 comments:

  1. I didn't know you were quite the handyman, Arnold! Want to come over and help us put in some windows? Just kidding-if you are anything like me, you get a simple pleasure from fixing things up and building cool stuff for around the house. As always, I enjoy your blog and hope things are going well with you. Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sis!
    Well, I'm handy and I'm a Man.. that would make me a "Handyman" wouldn't it? haha
    I also will add 12 Volt lighting on the right side of course and add a wonderful large Calif. Palm near the top. When you can envision it.. you can build it, I'd always say.

    ReplyDelete