Monday, August 9, 2010

Survived the Air attack .

I truly can say , we both survived the Air attack at Point Mugu Naval Base yesterday .
But first , I like to add a few words about Saturday's Concert . As I mentioned before , I've heard of the En Vogue quartet .. but I don't really listen to any of their Music . It turned out , the House ( or Park ) was packed to the max with People for the Show . I would say 75% were black People , due to this Group consisting of four black Ladies .. singing of course tune's to their liking . Qing and I had wonderful , uninstructed seat's with a great view of the Stage at all times . The best part , from my view point out .. was the more oldies which included Tina Turner songs . I love Tina Turner , always have . She is the Man's singing Star , what Michael Jackson was to the Women . Hence , Qing did not know any and never heard of them .. she was a good sport though . Even , when at time it bordered near Rap Music and pretty loud to boot . So for the Park's cash draw , this was of course a great success evening .. with one more to go next weekend .

Now to the Air Show .
As the Gates opened at 10:00 am , we needed to get up early on Sunday . This Show was about some 80 miles from our House . I had figured , have Breakfast at about 8 :00 am and fill the Gas Tank and get going towards the Beach area of Ventura County .. Oxnard to be exact . But , as all Men know .. getting the Woman/Wife ready to go when planned .. is .. well you have an Idea . So it was more like close to 10:00 am , before we headed west towards the Beach . Only one hour late I thought . We did great time , due to my great driving and sometimes a little too fast in the NO Cop zone's . Hahaha
We arrived at the Base about or close to Noon , which did give us about four Hours enjoying ourselves . Three hours before the final act at 3:00 pm of the famous Thunderbird's . After we had parked the Car , Qing ask if we should take our folding Chair 's with us . I thought , well .. if we are to check out Planes from the inside .. I don't want to have to carry them all over the place . So I decided not to take them . As it happens quite often , things/thought change . We had found a nice place with still some room to make us comfortable , but it was only 1:00 pm . I felt guilty now , not having brought the Chairs . I just had to ask Qing , if she still wanted them and if she liked to stay right here . After all , it was right near the fence and the Thunderbird Plane's were right in front of us ( maybe 30 Meter's ) . Thinking of the good shape I'm in , I'll be back in about twenty minutes .. I told Qing . Mind you , this was a good mile to walk to the Car and back . Not only through fields upon fields ( some only dirt ) and the little problem of about 80,000 to 90,000 People getting in your way . It was easier going back with the Chairs , because it was going WITH and not AGAINST the flow . I did manage to make it in 19 minutes flat . Not bad for an old Man .
Calling this space ours for some three hours , wasn't the easiest either . Ones it came time for anything happening , everybody was on their feet . So much for sitting and enjoying the Show . A couple of things that were outstanding , I like to mention . First , there was the War-Hog . A funny looking Plane really , with two Jet engine's above the Fuselage . This Plane simulated a ground attack with a wall of Fire . When those Bombs hit the Ground , we could feel the Earth shaking a quarter mile away . Scary for those not paying attention at that instant . Second , with was a first that I ever even heard of . Also this was to be the ONLY Helicopter in the World , doing Stunts in the Air and I mean Stunts . Something I thought , was not even possible . This Pilot spend a year and a half perfecting the aerodymatic's of this Helicopter to actually do loops/figure-eight's and go straight up and straight down while spinning/rolling . My Jaw dropped to my Chest and so did many other 's . Now , this Man .. is in the work's of also being the first one ever .. to hover a Copter upside down . Talk about skill ? I think , it really takes a crazy Man to even think of something like this .. much less doing it . After this , the Thunderbird's better do their best to top this for the Crowd . I know they would though . I have seen them as a young Boy back in Germany and many more times , I forgot how many times .. at least 10 times if I remember well . The awaited hour arrived and one after the other rolled off to the Runway for take-off .. six in all at this Air Show . I have seen them as many as Ten at one time , back in the day's at Ramstein ( Germany ) . The time , when they actually flew right over People's Head's . What was to follow , was definitely what I was used to seeing from these great Airmen . Excellent finish , with single Jet fly-over the Crowd even . Talk about noise ? They did warn us ahead of time to wear earplugs , but we are all soooo Manly (even the Women ) ahhhhh .. no need for that . I'm one to enjoy those fly-overs , because I grew up with this . Qing says , that she really loved it . Well , it was after all the first time for her and that is one to remember for sure .
To top off the Anniversary Day , we decided to go eat at an French Restaurant for Dinner . So back along the Coast to Malibu and to the San Fernando Valley to the best French little place I know off . Beautiful Dinner , including Champagne and also a first for Qing again Escargot .. which I was familiar with already . Over all , a memorable day for both of us .. with no doubt .

2 comments:

  1. Wow... you two had a fantastic day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Carl , it was a wonderful weekend . Had to make it special for our Anni .

    ReplyDelete