Monday, August 2, 2010

An exciting Weekend !

It started all on Thursday , as I had left Work and headed home early that day . On the way home , as I was listening to the news on the Radio .. I got some news that worried me somewhat . I drive home on the Highway 14 , ( to Palmdale ) which is pretty heavy loaded with traffic most of the time . I could see , not just one Fire in the Mountain's .. but two at the same time . One north and the other south of the Freeway . They both produced quite a lot of smoke for Fires that started not long ago . I was worried like I have mentioned before , mostly because .. knowing they might close the Freeway before I get passed them . Did make it through and arrived home without any burn marks on the Car . haha
All was well , that's what I had thought . But after Qing and I had dinner and cleaned up the Kitchen , the Phone rang . It was my Neighbor's Girlfriend calling . I was ask'd , if I knew about how close the Fire was at this time . I told her NO , that we just finished eating and was not aware of the Fire situation at this time . Well , it turns out by going onto my front Porch .. it was only about a mile away and coming down the Hills near the closest major street by our house . Now seeing this ( was already nightfall ) coming sooo close where one could feel the heat from those red flames .. sometimes up to over 50 feet by my guess . By now it was after 10pm , checking out the news report of what was going on .. now this made both of us very nervous . To the point , I could not sleep .. so into the Car we went and got to the point of where the Fire Dept. closed off the road for everyone . There we sat and keeping the Car running with the Air Conditioner on and windows closed , as we watched the Flames doing there thing . Ash was coming down like it was snowing and the smoke cloud was moving right over our area towards our neighboring City of Lancaster . We watched Helicopter's doing water drop's at night , which is not always done .. as it is very dangerous at night . But this was a must , as it was going to come close to many Homes near the Hills . The one good thing we had to our favor , was the California Aqueduct was between the Fire and the Homes . This is what actually stopped this Fire from reaching any further to the Homes that People had already left for safety reasons . At that point we decided to go back Home feeling much safer now .
By morning , going to Work ( if possible ) I was looking to see .. where it had moved to and if it had grown or the Firefighters had a much more handle on it . To my surprise , heading down the 14 Freeway .. I could not even see any smoke rising to the Sky . They must of put it out , I thought . Well , later I found out .. it was still burning . But in another place and the wind had changed directions , so thus .. no smoke in sight .

So this was some start to the weekend for sure .
Now , Saturday was going to be Concert night at the Park , also a mile from our house . With the Fire - Smoke - Ash , we of course thought , this Concert will be canceled for sure . Like magic , Saturday morning there was blue sky all around the Antelope Valley and the Concert was on for that night . I especially was looking forward to seeing " The Guess Who " perform at our big Stage . As Qing and I took a pair of Chairs and a Blanket for her , as it was windy and the Temperature had taken a downward dive that day . I have hear'd of them many times throughout my younger years of course , but did not know until now .. that Band was Canadian . I always thought of them being British . Anyway , this Performance was one of the best that I've been to .
One Song stood out the most , " American Woman " that is .
I'm married to a Chinese Lady and this Song could not describe my feeling towards western/American Women any better ..than this Song does . Not that I dislike all American Women now , but I have a strong feeling .. where I would never see myself married to one in my Lifetime .. ever . This was enough to stand up and start shaking your Hips with all the other People doing it . A super Band and a super evening for both of us . I look forward to the next Concert coming up this weekend . The " En Vogue " will be there . Don't know much about them ( four Women ) , but still looking forward seeing them too .
On a side note , Qing's driving test is tomorrow afternoon . All fingers are crossed that she will do good this time around .

2 comments:

  1. I am glad to hear that both you guys, and your home is safe. That is getting too close for comfort.

    You didn't know The Guess Who are Canadian? There are many Canadians in the American entertainment industry...Jim Carey, Pamela Anderson, Michael J Fox, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was close and not a single Marshmellow in the house .


    Well Actor's I knew about them being Canadian , but the Band .. I really thought they were British because they had that one year contract in England ( while I first heard of them ) before returning to America .

    ReplyDelete